Thursday, December 31, 2009

Happy New Year!

One can sit and think about the year in one of two ways: the good or the bad. The things you wanted but did not get or the things you got and didn't know you wanted. It's one of those quirky things about the human condition: our ability to break down a length of time into events/ideas/tangible items and then determine the best way to analyze them. The human condition part comes in when you make the very definite decision to be positive or negative.

I've decided to be positive. We all know that in late 2008, I lost my job; in January, PC got really sick; we've had snow storms, moved, illness... but here's what you don't know....

In 2009, I ....
  • found a new career that I love and am really, really good at. Really good. Ask my boss. I amaze her daily
  • re-found my love of quilting and took a class. And signed up for another class. And made a quilt by myself in between
  • made new friends, and kept old ones, and purged my toxic friendships.
  • took control of my health and stood up to my doctor***
  • learned that PC and I can do anything as long as we do it together

In 2009, I knit....
  • 2 pair of socks
  • 2 shawls
  • 3 of the same sweater!!! (Olivia and twin sisters, Brooke and Tori have matching outfits)
  • 4 hats
  • 8 mittens
  • 5 scarves
  • 4 baby sweaters (not counting the matchy-matchy ones)
  • 3 dolls
All in all... a good year.

*** standing up to my doctor and taking control of my health. This is something that I think all women should do and I don't think we do because we don't want to seem pushy, rude, ungrateful, or like a know-it-all. In 2009, my doctor said the words "weight loss surgery" to me more than once. I fought to get someone else to look at my test results and I have to say, what a relief when you see a doctor who wants to help you. Dr. Schreiber, you rock.

In the upper right of this blog, you will see a new ticker... a weight loss ticker. Each week, I'll update the number and we'll all watch it move to the right. I'll also post my loss in a posting each week as well. Medication and a modified (highly) South Beach Diet will be my tools. And you. You are my cheerleaders. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment