Sunday, October 04, 2009

Countdown

Countdown to what?
  • my birthday: 5 days
  • my birthday party: 6 days (thank PC--- he's the love of my life for a reason)
  • knit night: 1 day
  • Rhinebeck: 13 days
I'm knitting... I just haven't photographed my WIP: Girl Friday. She's delicious and I am loving knitting her. Do you think she'll be my Rhinebeck sweater?

We'll see.

And, here's a recipe for you (Erika: pay attention: this one's vegetarian)

Curried Roasted Butternut Squash Soup

2 large butternut squashes, split in 1/2 and seeds scooped out
2 tbsp butter, in 4 pieces
salt and pepper
2 boxes Trader Joe's low sodium veg broth (about 10 cups)
1 tbsp curry powder

Put squashes, flesh side up, on cookie sheets, add piece of butter to each, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and roast 1 hour at 400 deg F. Remove flesh from skins, discard skin, and add to stock pot. Add 5 cups of broth and cook for 20 minutes on medium heat. Blend w/ immersion blender and add additional 5 cups of broth. Stir. Add additional salt and pepper to taste.

This works out to be a high fiber, low fat, low sodium soup. Since PC's cardiac event, he's been on a low sodium diet, but he loves the butternut squash soup from TJ's. This is my version for him. :) It made 6 containers for work lunches... about 1 1/2 cups each.

Nutritional Info:
154 calories, 2.1 g fat (the good kind!), and 8.4 g fiber, 300 mg of sodium.

No comments:

Post a Comment