Friday, July 24, 2009

Adult?

I read something online earlier this week about being a grown-up. How do you recognize this feat? When do we really feel "adult?"

I can say for me; moving in with PC. First time I really felt like I had my shit under control and that my life was moving in the right direction. Had the boy, had the apartment and soon after, had the cat. I have a friend who once told me "the day I realized that I don't have to call my mom back." I look around me and see all of our friends in the midst of various "adulthood": getting married, having babies, having 2nd babies(!!!), buying houses, buying 2nd houses, getting divorced, working a new career, staying home, and movin' along with life. Last year, I bought a car without asking my dad about it. I've never done that. We chose this apartment (and the one before it) without any input. I've been terrified in an ER in the middle of the night, waiting alone... praying. It took me 31.8 years to realize that there are different kinds of 'adults'... and that's okay.

Sometimes I feel like I am standing completely still while the world moves around me and then I look at where I am. I am here. In my life and I am happy. I look at PC, who gives me stupid grins when I get a little morose about who we are and where we're at. We're not everyone else. We are us.

So, what was the first thing that made you feel like an adult?

The job hunt continues... and the knitting, the knitting is good... I will blog about knitting sometime this weekend, promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment