Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Have you ever eaten an Acorn?

It's getting colder here in New England. So cold that Pumpkin is asking to "camp" under her self-warming mat. She is all snuggled up, creating heat and purring....




An acorn squash, that is. We have and we love them. Normally, we fill them with cranberries and couscous and maple syrup and bake them... but since this is the week of recommitment to WW, I thought we'd try something healthier. I modified (quite a bit) a recipe I found online and one that PC's dad (who's becoming quite the cook in his retirement!) had made and recommended.

WW points are given. oh, and I made my lasagna in two pans b/c I don't have the right size pan.

Ingredients:

2 large acorn squash, halved and de-seeded
I can't believe it's not butter spread-ICBINB ( a WW fave)
salt (coarse)
pepper
1 tsp sage
1 tsp nutmeg
no-bake lasagna noodles - 1 box (8 sheets)
32 ounces fat free ricotta cheese
1/2 cup fat-free cheese topping (parmesan blend)
2 eggs

Instructions:
1. Prep acorn squash: place cut side down on non-stick foil on a rimmed cookie sheet (these things leak!)- cook for 1 hour at 400deg F. Allow to cool and scoop out the 'meat' and put in a mixer. Add 2 tbsp ICBINB and nutmeg. Add salt and pepper (a pinch of each)-- blend. Add sage. Mix quickly.
2. Prep ricotta: add ricotta, parm blend cheese and salt and pepper. Mix well.
3. Make lasagana(s): layer no bake noodles, then squash mix, then no bake noodles, then ricotta, no-bake noodles, squash mix, no bake noodles, ricotta.
4. Cover with non-stick foil and bake at 400deg F for 45 minutes. Remove foil and cook for 15 minutes to brown.

TOTAL WW Points: 40 for the ENTIRE dish... ours made 10 really big servings: 4 points each.

Yummmmmmm
Obligatory knitting content:



I cast on for this boys' hat last night at Island Yarn's Knit Night... it should be done tonight. I modified PumpkinMama's spiderman hat pattern b/c I had worsted weight yarn and she had used something lighter. I cast on 96 stitches and did 3 repeats of the pattern. I am also doing less of the 'webbing' at the top as this hat would be too tall... and we want a 'beanie that covers the ears' thing...

No comments:

Post a Comment