Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Stolen Meme

Top 10 Vacation Memories...

(in no particular order)

  1. The sun bouncing off the water at Rand Pond Campground (where we spent all of our summers) in NH.... at 4:30 pm. It glistened and sparkled like diamonds. The temperature would just start to change and you could smell the grills being lit.
  2. The thunderstorm at Lake Androscoggin in Maine. PC and I were woken up by lightning illuminating our tent. I promptly hid under PC and then he had to convince me to run for the truck. We slept the whole night in my brother's pick-up.
  3. Our first trip to Disney together. Being able to pet a rhino at the Animal Kingdom.
  4. My first trip to Disney as a kid--- picking grapefruit in my great-uncle's backyard for breakfast (we had no idea grapefruit came on trees and that you could eat food from your yard... what a bunch of city kids!) and learning to "speak dolphin" from my grandfather. Mostly, this involved me going "eeee! eeee!" whenever asked something. I'm not sure my mom ever forgave him for that one. The trip home when the RV broke down and my dad was laughing b/c it was the only time my mom didn't have bobby pins in her hair and my dad really needed one to fix the engine.
  5. DC last year... being able to get lost in a new city with PC. Way more fun that it sounds.
  6. Summer vacation 6 years ago: 2 weeks on the Cape (wellfleet) with my friend, Margy. She worked and I went to the beach. Swam with seals on the harbor side beaches. Saw a shark fin on the ocean side. I still prefer the kettle ponds for swimming. No seals. No sharks.
  7. Playing ping-pong and listening to the juke box at the Rec Hall with my brothers--- I think what I loved the most is that we were less siblings and more friends then.
  8. Being the only girl to enter and win the BMX competition at the campground's labor Day events. My dad was SO proud.
  9. Watching my brother run like a madman away from "a wild boar!!!" on a hiking trail that turned out to be an escaped pig from the farm next door.
  10. Anything we did at Conway Lake, including forgetting the rainfly, swimming at Echo Lake, riding the train to the Notch, watching fireworks from our site, eating too many hotdogs, celebrating our first non-smoking camping trip.
I love to camp and we're hoping to bring this love of camping to our kids someday. So, honey--- wanna go camping with me?

:) Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment