Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Breakfast of Champions

Anyone who really knows me knows I hate cereal. Yup, I might be the only person on the planet who actually hates cereal, but hey--- it's my tummy, I'll feed it what it likes. What my tummy likes is oatmeal or porridge (steel cut oats with milk). Essentially, I like hot breakfast. PC is a granola fan. In the interest of keeping us a tad bit more on the trim side, I have been experimenting with creating a breakfast that is a) healthy and b) we'll both eat and c) that I don't have to get up any earlier to make. :) I think I found it:

(from Cooking Light... many moons ago, slightly modified)

1/2 cup water
2 cups fat free skim milk
1 cup steel cut oats
1 cup couscous
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup dried cherries
4tbsp brown sugar
pinch of salt
3 tbsp cinnamon
1/2 cup crushed walnuts
2 handfuls almonds (we like the dry roasted, unsalted, whole ones)


Bring water to a boil in a med saucepan. Add milk and stir. Add rest of ingredients and stir well. Turn off heat, and cover saucepan. Let sit off the heat for 10-15 minutes. Serve hot or cold.

Makes 6 servings.

Try it. I know the couscous sounds weird, but let's look at it this way: this breakfast is loaded with fiber, protein, healthy oils (nuts) and some carbs for energy. I am eating 3/4 cup each morning and while i usually snack around 9am... I am not even hungry until lunch! I entered it at calorieking.com (PoorMissFinch turned me onto this) and it's only 300 calories per serving. Actually not bad for breakfast. Yes, I know some cereals are lower, but overall this cereal is very healthy and filling. Even PC says it fills him up... and that boy is always.hungry.

Have a great day and look tomorrow for some more photos--- baby sweaters and my first ever duplicate stitch!

:) Mini

No comments:

Post a Comment